Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Philosophizing...

So, recently, I have been having thoughts on happiness and the basis for morality.

And, I don't know what to make of all this.

If one is Christian, why be good? Why continue living your life when you know that heaven is one gunshot, one knife cut away? Why?

How does the individual benefit in any way from doing this? Does he gain something in this life by continuing to live it? Well, if there is, then I don't see it. Does he gain something from God in heaven? Well, then, there is a serious misunderstanding of salvation by 'grace'.

People commonly understand salvation by grace to be a state where a person's outcome is completely independent of their actions, but rather is dependent on the will of God. Now, what if this is all incorrect?

If I am reading all of this right, the only reason I have to live out my life is because I need to suffer like Jesus did in order to get to heaven and experience good things. Not that I am earning my salvation, although it seems that way. No, rather, I am simply doing the actions that God will bless.

It isn't that these actions somehow make me "deserve" good things. There is no such thing as "deserving" good things, even here on earth. Even if a child obeys their parents doesn't mean they "deserve" to be given food or anything. No, for the child doesn't "deserve" anything. The parents are completely free to ignore their child and let the kid starve. There is no (earthly) reason for them to do anything. Of course, the parents might treat their child good in the hope that the child will one day take care of them in their old age.

Now, if people do bad, then they truly do "deserve" punishment. This I believe to be true. I don't know why it is true, but I think it is true.

In another example, a monkey in a laboratory might do all that the scientists want him to do without giving them a hassle. Now, does he "deserve" a banana? No, he doesn't deserve anything. The scientists, though, are free to give him a banana, if they want. And their desires are controlled by what they see as leading to the best outcome for themselves.

All this stuff is really tricky.

...

here are some things to think about:

1) Why shouldn't a Christian just kill himself, if his outcome is completely independent of his actions?

2) Suppose there is a Christian. Now, suppose also that humanity knows the exact chemicals that produce feelings of happiness in the brain. And, also, suppose that this chemical can be caused in the brain by the consumption of a certain substance, let's call it "soma." Now, suppose that this substance is freely available to everyone at no cost. What reasons would there be for not using the substance? Why should a Christian not use the substance, if his outcome is independent of his actions?

Some might argue that a person shouldn't consume soma because they will become addicted. Well, what's the problem with being addicted if it is always available.

Some might argue that consuming it might cause problems with one's health. Well, that wasn't specified, for one thing. But, let's assume that that is true, that it does cause problems with one's health. Well, what's the problem with that? If you're gonna say that it will lead to unhappiness in their lives, well, then, they could just take more soma and be happy again. No problem. Well, maybe it will cause unhappiness in other people's lives. Well, they can take soma too.

And, what if it makes God unhappy? Well, salvation is "by grace alone", right?

Now, now, I know what you are saying. You are gonna point out Romans 6, where it says talks about why Christians under grace should not live in sin.

Well, why not, if salvation will come or not come independent of one's actions.

But, wait, what is this? In Romans 6:5, we read "If we have been united with [Christ] in his death, we will also be united with him in his resurrection."

So, we need to live lives that reflect Christ's death in order to attain to the resurrection that he offers. If we don't live our lives in the manner of His death, then we don't get to go to heaven.

I am pretty sure that I already discussed what salvation by faith might mean in another post. Look it up. If you can't find it, or if I dodn't post it, tell me, and I will try to explain it.

Now, can someone please, Please tell me what's wrong with all that i am saying? I can't find anything wrong, and I know that if all this is right, then I am either destined to a life of suffering or I am screwed and will not be saved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home