Monday, July 18, 2005

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/07/18/STUDENT.TMP

A student was gunned down three blocks from my apartment yesterday. I just came back from a morning run, and all by the location of the murder were candles and flowers and other such stuff set up as a memorial for this woman.

Death. Once again it shows its face for those in Berkeley. And, indeed, this is a time to mourn.

Please pray for the family and friends of the deceased.

but, also, while you pray for them, pray that God would be glorified through this event.

I suppose that most people are shocked and saddened by this event. Well, I must admit, I am a little saddened, but I am definitely not shocked. Death is on my mind far too much for this to be shocking to me.

I suppose most people get shocked not because of the fact that someone died, but rather because they are reminded of their own mortality. I surely hope they are not shocked by the fact that someone died; it should be known that everyone dies, sometime. But, when their eyes come across the figure of death, they are reminded of their own frailty, their own weakness.

And, indeed, they should be reminded of this, for we are frail and weak, and we often forget this.

But, there is a good that can come out of this all. In this short time, when everyone's eyes are on this death, they will be faced with the question, "What about my own life? Do I realize that it will one day end? And how do I live in light of that?" In this time, people will be looking for answers.

So, give them answers. Tell them that life is made for God, and that it should be used to please God. Tell them that we sinners have the opportunity to come to God through the actions of Jesus Christ, who was God. Tell them that even though this life will one day end, and our frail and weak bodies will pass away, for those who love the Lord and are called by Him, they will be given new and eternal life, and their bodies will be made new and glorious.

Tell them the good news from God in this time. Because the Lord has blessed us with this tragedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home