Sunday, July 17, 2005

Thoughts on death

Hello all,

So here's what's up:
I was sitting in Emeryville today, thinking and philosophizing, and some questions popped in my head, and I couldn't answer them or shake them off. And, as I thought about it more and more, I realized that these are very important questions. So, here they are:

Why is it important to continue living this life if you are a Christian? What's benefits are there for continuing to live if one is a Christian? Why shouldn't a Christian just kill himself?

Because, as far as I can tell, all the benefits of being a Christian only come AFTER death in the next life.

And, like I said, I couldn't come up with an answer to the questions.

So, here's your chance to speak. Feel free to post a comment or email me (thebrainkid AT hotmail DOT com) if you think you have an answer. I would actually prefer if you posted a comment. If you want to tell me an answer, I would not recommend calling me, because I will surely forget. Oh, and I suppose if you wanted to meet up with me, that would be ok too.

Heck, invite your friends to answer too. Let's make this a party.

So, Please help me find an answer.
Because I sure as hell don't have any answers.

-------------

Oh, and for your reading pleasure, here is a copy of the journal entry I made today:

"Dear Journal,
Here is a question that is sticking in my mind that I cannot shake & that I cannot answer (or at least am having a hard time answering):

What benefit is there to the Christian/for the Christian while still alive?

As I think about it, I can't think of any benefits in life for being a Christian.

I hear one benefit to [living life] being a Christian is that you find "joy" in God. Well, the problem is, I can't figure out what joy is. I've heard it isn't happiness, it isn't fulfilment, & a lot of other things it isn't. But, still, what is this thing called "joy," and why is it good? [And can it be experienced in this life?]

Perhaps you get what you want from God. But this doesn't seem to be true from experience.

Perhaps you please God. Well, how is this good for you?

...

As far as I can tell, the only benefits from being a Christian come after death. That's when we find heaven, & when we will be with God.
This is quite a puzzle."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

point others to Christ--"the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few." bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6--today's message from Mosaic).

7/17/2005 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aren't christians going through the same suffering christ had to go through by experiencing life? And isn't it your good deeds during your lifetime that determine whether you receive the "benefits" after your life ends? (or maybe that was for catholics- )
besides, one can't commit suicide and still be a christian, can he/she?

7/17/2005 9:33 PM  
Blogger thebrainkid said...

mlwhitt: When I read your response, I think of a dad who puts his kid in a room for a few days, starving him, then takes him out and gives him some food. Now, as I look at that dad, I think, "what a jerk," because he could have given his son food anytime. If I look at things that way, it looks like God is some bully trying to pick on me.

Jon: Well, what's the point of pointing people to Christ? What's the benefit gained from that? What's the point of bearing each other's burdens?

anonymous: If salvation is by grace alone through faith alone(the protestant position), then I see no problem with the idea that someone can commit suicide and go to heaven. It would be forgiven, right?

And, what exactly are these benefits which you mention? Are we supposed to be trying to earn more stuff from God?

7/18/2005 2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if all Christians were to kill themselves and thus go straight Home, who would be left to fulfill the Great Commission? Didn't Jesus tell us to go out and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?

the point of our existence is that we have work to do here on earth, as messed up this reality is.

don't you remember our study on 2 Corinthians? 2 Cor. 4:9: "So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it." Would killing ourselves and prematurely leaving this world please him?

7/18/2005 11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the benefit of all the above that I mentioned is this: we _glorify_ God by obeying his commands, pointing others to Christ, and building up the body.

7/18/2005 11:49 PM  
Blogger thebrainkid said...

the benefit of all the above that I mentioned is this: we _glorify_ God by obeying his commands, pointing others to Christ, and building up the body.

Well, how do these things benefit us? What do we gain from doing these things?

I know this sounds really selfish and stupid, but... What's the point of glorifying God? How does it benefit us?

I guess the problem I have been having has been trying to figure out how following God brings happiness, or "joy," whatever that means. I mean, there are times when I am happy in God, but it seems like these times fade away just as quickly as the times I am happy in other things.

Maybe all the happiness and joy is to be had in the next life. Well, then, why am I still here?

7/19/2005 12:43 AM  
Blogger thebrainkid said...

Or is happiness and joy even the point? If not, then what other benefits come to the one who stays alive?

7/19/2005 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home