Saturday, October 20, 2007

Americorps Journal Entry #2

Well, I've been here a few days, and life here has been pretty good. So far, it has been pretty relaxed. We're going through a lot of paperwork, really boring training, and some basic physical inspections.Not too much to do most of the time.

In other news, I've been looking for Orthodox Churches in the area and Orthodox people here in the NCCC (Americorps * National Civilian Conservation Corps). So far, I have found a number of churches in the area (use this website with the area code '95652'). According to the map, the closest parish is a small OCA mission about 2 miles away (as the crow flies), but about 5 miles away by the roads. I was trying to walk to this parish, but I got lost, since I forgot my map in my dorm room at the NCCC campus. As I was walking by one building, this one lady, Karen, was leaving her office.I asked her for directions, and she offered to give me a ride to wherever the church was. At first, I declined her offer, but as I kept walking, she walked in the same direction to her car, and once we got there, she offered to give me a ride again, so I took her up on her offer. So, we drove around for a number of minutes, but we got lost, and eventually we just drove back to the Americorps base.So, my attempt to find this parish ended up fruitless, but at least I got to meet this really nice lady and talk with her about what AmeriCorps is all about.

Also, I have found about five Greek Orthodox people. Some of these, however, are only nominally Orthodox, maybe going to church once or so a year, and who are only Orthodox because they are Greek. Nevertheless, I am trying to figure out if we can get a ride to a local parish, probably the Greek church in Sacramento, or maybe the Roseville parish. I have been talking with some of the Team leaders here about getting a ride to one of them, and I have been trying to contact some of the folks who go to that parish. We'll have to see how that all turns out.

Ok, well, more news later
Ciao.

_pons

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home