Saturday, April 30, 2005

Love is such a curious thing

Recently, my mind has been on the topic of love, whether btw/ man and wife, BF and GF, parent & child, friends, or man and God. (There are probably more kinds, but I don't really feel like thinking all too much right now.)

Love is...patient, kind, etc. But it is also quite confusing. (Or rather, it can be quite confusing.)

So, here's how I see it right now:

Love is primarily about commitment. Yes, commitment. Not emotions, not attraction, not even money and other rewards that might come in a relationship. No, love at its core is all about being committed to someone else.

For instance, God loved us while we were still sinners. Why? Not because we were attractive to Him, not because we had something to offer Him, and most definitely not because God just randomly felt some emotion one day. No, rather, he is committed to His people, a theme which is repeated so many times all throughout the Bible, and a lot in the book of Isaiah (which is what I was reading today).

Similarly, our love for God is all about our being committed to Him. Our love is made manifest in our actions. If it is the case that we do not obey Him, then perhaps it is the case that we do not love Him. Contrariwise, if we love Him, then we will obey His commandments. (See 1 Jn 5:3 for this). I am not sure, but perhaps love for God is defined only by how we keep His commandments.

Of course, I do not keep God's commandments perfectly (not even close to perfect), and thus I do not love God perfectly. Yet He still loves me and remains committed to me. How incredible that truth is!

On a more human level, love between ppl is all about commitment too. Parents must stay committed to the relationship they have with their children if they are to love them. And vice versa. Same for friends too.

Now, this all gets quite confusing (at least for me) when it all gets down to BF/GF, husband/wife, eros love relationships. Here's what I mean:

Now there are a large number of members of the opposite sex that I know, but for now I shall only focus on two. One of them (call her A) I know really well. We talk about a lot of interesting and deep stuff about what's going on in each of our lives. Pretty cool gal.

And then there's another one (call her B) who I don't know quite as well, but still relatively well. We don't talk all too much, but we hang out kind of a lot.

And of course, to make things sucky, I find myself attracted to both of them, in different ways. I mean, I don't really consider A to be so very physically attractive, which is not to say that she is ugly but rather just very plain. On the other hand, B is relatively pretty.

And thus I step back and look at my relationships with both of them. And I ask myself, "Hypothetically, which one would you rather date?" (What can I say, I'm a teen...) Now, I would like to say A, but at the same time I would also like to say B. What does it all come down to in the end? Well, were I to date either, it would all have to come down to being committed to that relationship.

To go even further, marriage works like that too. I can't say too much more about that.

So, after all this, let me just pray that God will help me learn more about what it means to be committed to someone and to actually develop a deeper commitment btw me and Him and me and others.

I have more thoughts on love, maybe I'll write them later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home